Feeling the pressure of family and work stress?
The stress of maintaining a challenging career with demanding expectations can put significant strains on family life and relationships. If this sounds all too familiar, you aren’t alone. More than one in every four Canadian workers report finding even a regular day “quite a bit” or “extremely” stressful. 
We all experience some form of stress as a normal reaction to everyday pressures on the job. The real issue is when it becomes excessive or ongoing, and begins to burden you on a personal level.
Work stress affects family life
After a long and grueling day, do you find yourself taking your irritability, anger, and fatigue out on your partner, children, or other family members? This means that your stress is no longer yours alone. In fact, longer working hours have been shown to increase family conflict, distress, and health problems. 
How to achieve a work-life balance
You can achieve a healthy work-life balance by taking small, attainable steps toward reducing pressure at work and managing your personal life.
Reduce stress in the workplace
Here are 8 tips to help ease the pressure at work:
- Flexibility – arrange for a more flexible work schedule.
- Prioritize tasks – knock off high-priority tasks first and save less important tasks for when you have more time.
- Take short breaks throughout the day – even if it’s just a few minutes to stretch your legs.
- Set limits that confine your work to specific hours and locations.
- Breathe – when you feel overwhelmed, stop and take a few deep breaths to regain focus.
- Minimize interruptions – schedule designated times to read emails, take phone calls, and meet with colleagues.
- Don’t overcommit – learn to say no when your schedule is already full.
- Delegate more responsibility to others – you’ll be much more efficient.
Making a to-do list and prioritizing it not only keeps you focused on your day ahead, but it also helps put order and sense into your actions – which can help you manage stress.
Manage your personal life
A well-balanced life includes healthy family interactions and lifestyle choices. Here are 8 tips to help achieve this:
- Eat a healthy diet – include a wide variety of unprocessed foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean sources of protein, and healthy fats.
- Get enough sleep – 7–9 hours per night is ideal.
- Decompress – take time to decompress and switch gears after work.
- Limit – make time to completely check out and limit responsibilities, such as evenings and weekends.
- Disconnect from electronics – including cell phones, tablets, and laptops.
- Communicate – talk to your children and partner about their needs and feelings.
- Build a strong support network – parents, siblings, neighbours, and friends are often willing to help out.
- Stay organized – set daily goals and delegate tasks to family members.
Relieve stress naturally
Natural Factors Stress-Relax line of products are ideal for people looking to relieve symptoms of stress naturally. They provide a comprehensive approach towards calmer days and restful nights. Helpful options include:
- Tranquil Sleep
Helps you fall asleep quickly, sleep soundly through the night, and wake up feeling refreshed, without the potentially serious mental and physical side effects caused by pharmaceutical “sleeping pills.”
- Serenity Formula
A unique mix of adaptogenic herbs designed to promote emotional well-being and to help the body cope with symptoms of stress naturally.
- Magnesium Citrate
An effective way to meet the body’s daily magnesium requirements. Inadequate magnesium intake can heighten the symptoms of stress, including muscle tension and sleep disturbances.
- 100% Natural GABA
Fast-acting relief for nervousness and acute stress, this is a superior source and naturally produced form of the important brain compound gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
- Mental Calmness
For anyone feeling stressed, frazzled or over-committed in this 24/7 world, this safe supplement restores mental calmness and promotes relaxation.
- Kava Kava
Modern research confirms kava’s ability to help calm nervousness, relax tense muscles, and improve sleep quality.
- Mind Retreat
Contains GABA, lemon balm, magnesium, and vitamin B6, key nutrients that help cope with occasional stress. Mind Retreat promotes relaxation, reduces restlessness, and can be used as a sleep aid for periodic insomnia.
Find your balance
It can be difficult to balance a stressful job with family life. Finding ways to manage this stress and strike a work-life balance will help you foster healthy family relationships and support your own
 Crompton S What’s stressing the stressed? Main sources of stress among workers. Statistics Canada, 27 November 2015. Web. 8 November 2017.
 Major VS, Klein KJ & Ehrhart MG. Work time, work interference with family, and psychological distress. J Appl Psychol. 2002 Jun; 87(3):427-36.
Written by Patience Lister, Freelance Writer, Natural Factors